Courier-IMAPD problem with fam(d)

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue Jul 19 12:59:25 GMT 2005

On Jul 19, 2005, at 6:36 AM, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:

> The mail/courier-imap port installs famd as a dependency, but You
> have to manually configure and start it. Take a look at /usr/local/
> etc/fam.conf.

I don't see anything about starting there or in fam(1M) other than
"if fam is started by inetd".

> Anyway, this is a deficiency in the new versions of courier-imap.
> There isn't some kind of --without-fam configure options, the new
> versions require fam.

/usr/ports/mail/courier-imap/Makefile says fam is disabled by default:

OPTIONS=        OPENSSL         "Build with OpenSSL
support"                    on \
                 FAM             "Build in fam support for IDLE
command"         off \
                 DRAC            "Build in DRAC
support"                         off \
                 TRASHQUOTA      "Include deleted mails in the
quota"            off \
                 GDBM            "Use gdbm db instead of system
bdb"             off \
                 IPV6            "Build with IPv6
support"                       on

I suspect but haven't been able to prove fam is somehow running, if
only as a library linked to imapd. When Mail.app has "connection"
problems its instantly disconnected but sometimes a few messages get
thru. Sometimes a simple ssh to the FreeBSD machine, mutt to view the
mailbox, close it with messages now tagged as old, is all it takes
for Mail.app and courier-imap combination to be happy.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net