How to configure Apache21 port with suexec enabled and suexec_docroot change

Chris Casey chris.casey at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 22:24:26 GMT 2005

On a machine with an up to date ports system running 5.4, I'm trying
to use Apache21 port, I know that suexec is not enabled by default and
I know there should be a "make WITH_SUEXEC_MODULES=yes" option, but
when I try this I get some info about how to structure the options and
then it appears to start the make process. Is this normal?

Output:

www# make WITH_SUEXEC_MODULES=yes WITH_SUEXEC_DOCROOT_MODULES=/home

 To enable a module category: WITH_<CATEGORY>_MODULES

 To disable a module category: WITHOUT_<CATEGORY>_MODULES

 Per default categories are:

  AUTH AUTHN AUTHZ DAV MISC

 Categories available:

  AUTH AUTHN AUTHZ DAV EXPERIMENTAL LDAP MISC  PROXY SSL SUEXEC THREADS

  To see all available knobs, type make show-options

  To see all modules in different categories, type make show-categories

  You can check your modules configuration by using make show-modules

===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found

===>  Extracting for apache-2.1.4

=> Checksum OK for apache21/httpd-2.1.4-alpha.tar.bz2.

=> Checksum OK for apache21/powerlogo.gif.

===>   apache-2.1.4 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.6 - found

Secondly, I would like to run the SUEXEC_DOCROOT option so I can
specify a different directory from which to run CGI, like /home. The
reason is for Virtual hosts. I've read that CGIWrap is a good/better
substitute for this, but alas I would like to be able to take
advantage of Webmin/Virtualmin/Usermin for easy administration and I
know suexec support is available in those programs, but not CGIwrap.

Does anyone know the syntax when installing this port that will enable
suexec and change the docroot to /home? If so can you give an example?
I'm aware the 1.3 port has suexec enabled already, but I couldn't find
any syntax examples in the port to even try and change the docroot.

Thanks for the help.

Chris