DHCP Server Offline.

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Fri Jul 15 14:17:58 GMT 2005

On July 15, 2005 10:11 am, Stephan Weaver wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have a Stand Alone FreeBSD Firewall / Nat / Dhcp Server.
> Everything seems to work fine, up until this morning.
> Users seem to complain they could not get on the network anymore.
>
> Further investigation revealed the dhcp server could not be contacted.
> Further more, only some of the users were online.
> I am guessing that these clients who were online had an ip address from the
> dhcp server at a previous time and the lease didnt expire as yet.
> And users who were not online, the lease expired and attempted to contact
> the dhcp server and failed.
>
> I Would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Set the lease expire time to at least 5 days (7 to 10 is better) and the
renewal time to between 4 and 12 hours.

Then setup a dhcp monitoring process that will alert you if it fails to get an
address or renewal.

Make sure you have more addresses available than you ever expect to give out.
I go with 50% more. I've known some admins that want at least double.

> Like what to do in the future incase this happens again.

Setup 2 dhcp servers on the network. If one fails, the other will hopefully
continue to serve addresses. Monitor this one as well.

> I Would like to find out what had happened.

Start reading logs.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org
I am currently looking for work. If you need competent system/network
administration please feel free to contact me directly.