PHP PCRE

Myron Turner mturner at ms.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jul 15 12:13:43 GMT 2005

I just installed FreeBSD 5.4 with PHP 5.0.3 for the express purpose of
testing out a web-based application.

I was wondering what the rationale is for excluding PCRE from the current
php distribution.    As I understand it, the PCRE extensions are included
by default  in PHP 5.  This suggests that the FreeBSD  organization opted
not to include these.  A search of mailing lists shows that  people have
been having problems because of this.

For me, the solution is not to install a rebuilt php on my test machine,
because I have to have the assurance that my application will run on any
FreeBSD system.

Thanks,

Myron Turner