Xorg changing modes

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 15 05:14:41 GMT 2005

On Thursday, 14 July 2005 at 22:05:31 -0700, Ross Penner wrote:
> I've been having trouble getting Xorg to change video modes. I want it
> to run in 1280x1024 but it drops to 640x480 when I test it. I used the
> handbook as my guide.
>
> My hardware is pretty old. I have a PIII 500 with a voodoo 3 (agp).
>
> I've attached my Xorg.conf as well as the log file.
>
> hopefully that all worked out as I'm typing this out in links. Thanks
> for any help I can get, This problem is baffleing me.

OK, the way to look at this is to scan the log file for the
resolution:

  $ grep 1280x1024 Xorg.0.log
  (II) TDFX(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of range)
  (II) TDFX(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of range)
  (II) TDFX(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of range)
  (II) TDFX(0): Not using mode "1280x1024" (no mode of this name)
  (II) TDFX(0): 1280x1024 at 75Hz

Those first three lines are pretty clear.  But why?

  $ grep sync Xorg.0.log
  (II) TDFX(0): Monitor0: Using default hsync range of 28.00-33.00 kHz
  (II) TDFX(0): Not using default mode "640x350" (hsync out of range)
  (II) TDFX(0): Not using default mode "320x175" (hsync out of range)
  (many more)

OK, a horizontal sync of 33 kHz is definitely far too low for that
kind of resolution.  Looking at the X config file, you have:

> Section "Monitor"
> 	#DisplaySize	  370   300	# mm
> 	Identifier   "Monitor0"
> 	VendorName   "HIQ"
> 	ModelName    "L90D+ D-SUB"
>  ### Uncomment if you don't want to default to DDC:
> #	HorizSync    31.0 - 83.0
> #	VertRefresh  56.0 - 0.0
> 	Option	    "DPMS"
> EndSection

That's funny, because X should recognize the commented-out values, but
it looks as if it can't find any information about the monitor by
itself.  Try uncommenting the two lines.

Greg
The virus contained in this message was detected, clubbed to death and
distributed throughout the Internet as vaccine by LEMIS anti-virus.
For further details see http://www.lemis.com/grog/lemis-virus.html

Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.