Unstable NFS mount from shared Solaris filesystem?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Jul 13 18:34:05 GMT 2005

Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD at keyslapper.net> writes:

> On 07/13/05 12:34 PM, Kelly D. Grills sat at the `puter and typed:

> > See FAQ 12.12 and section 23.3.5 of the handbook.
> > The -r=1024 parameter solved my problems.
>
> The FAQ.  Darnit, I knew I was forgetting something.
>
> That seems to have fixed it so far, but what does it mean?  I can't
> find it in the manpages.

>From TFM (mount_nfs(8)):
     -r      Set the read data size to the specified value.  It should nor-
             mally be a power of 2 greater than or equal to 1024.  This should
             be used for UDP mounts when the ``fragments dropped due to
             timeout'' value is getting large while actively using a mount
             point.  (Use netstat(1) with the -s option to see what the
             ``fragments dropped due to timeout'' value is.)  See the -w
             option as well.