FreeBSD 5.4 CD and Adaptec 2010s controller w/ RAID 10

M. L. user at celeritystorm.com
Wed Jul 13 18:12:07 GMT 2005

Hi list,

I'm having a strange problem while trying to install FreeBSD on a
pentium 4 server with an adaptec 2010s controller with a built RAID 10.
It goes fine until
it tries to read the CD (to install FreeBSD), at that point it starts
spitting random numbers and letters in blocks, something like:

cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99
cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99
cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99
cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99
cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99 cc 99 cc aa dd 99

(letters/numbers are different)

and it never stops. If I destroy the RAID 10, FreeBSD will boot up fine
and detect all 4 disks.. if I insert a Windows CD, it will go to Windows
the installation screen, which leads me to believe it is a problem
related with FreeBSD and the fact that there is a RAID 10 created
(remember, if I destroy the RAID it works fine and will go to sysinstall)

This is my first RAID installation on a FreeBSD system, so I might be
missing something obvious.. Does anyone have a clue ?

Thanks in advance!