m4p conversion to mp4?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 13 08:21:00 GMT 2005

Louis LeBlanc wrote:

>On 07/11/05 12:25 PM, Garrett Cooper sat at the `puter and typed:
>

>>Louis LeBlanc wrote:
>>

>>>On 07/10/05 08:57 PM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
>>>
>>><SNIP>
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Lou
>>>

>>There's always faad2.
>>

>Actually, faad2 won't do the job.  The m4p format uses a variant of
>the md5 hash algorithm to make it difficult to play this music on
>anyone else's system.  It will play on my iPod and my iTunes
>installation, but if I give the file to someone else, it won't play.
>
>There's probably a key somewhere in the iTunes DB and installed on the
>iPod that helps decode the hash.
>
>I think I'll try jHymn, as suggested by anothe poster.
>
>Thanks.
>Lou

    Well yes. If it's encrypted then it's best to use hymn to decrypt it
in one form or another before decoding into an unencrypted version of
the mp4 since it's an easier interface than faad. However, faad2 can
'brute force' (not correct use I know, but I was trying to emphasize my
point rather and not be accurate necessarily) decrypting given a DRM key
(from what I've read in the past), so although the solution may not be
as ideal, it's still possible.
    jhymn already contains faad2 if you read the doc:
http://hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/.
-Garrett