Optical drive laser misalign guidance

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 13 08:16:17 GMT 2005

Not sure if this is the best location to ask, but I have to see anyhow...

Just wondering if anyone has had any verifiable experience with
misaligned lasers in optical drives, and I was curious how they fixed
the issue if they got that far.

I'm asking since I have 2 optical drives-both DVD+/-RW and both have
apparently failed to the point where they will either barely read
CD-R/Ws and not read DVDs at all (Liteon SOHW-1633S), or not DVD media
and CD media is read slowly (Sony DRU-500A). The other option I
considered it being is powering issues, but-as requested before-I was
wondering if anyone had similar issues with misaligned lasers, what the
symptoms were exactly, and how they possibly remedied the problem(s). I
would rather not toss these drives in a dumpster since they were rather
expensive and still work somewhat.

I have updated the firmware to the latest and greatest as per Lite-on
and Sony's website, but it hasn't affected the overall operation of the
drives.

Many thanks!

-Garrett