why CDROM operations cause system to be slow and HD operations do not

Ivailo Tanusheff i.tanusheff at procreditbank.bg
Wed Jul 13 08:01:39 GMT 2005

I think that if your CDROM drive or CD is bad or you have dust on the lens
of CDROM drive the system will try to correct the problem by making
several reads on the same sector of the CDROM. So this takes system time
and the whole system goes slower. Try different CDROM drive or different
CD - this could solve your problem :)

Ivailo Tanusheff

Yuri <yuri at tsoft.com>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
07/13/2005 10:54 AM

freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
cc

Subject
why CDROM operations cause system to be slow and HD operations do not

When I read something from CDROM my system gets visibly slow and HD
reads/writes do not have the same effect.

I think they both should have similar effect on system performance since
multiple requests should just wait till completion interrupt and other
processes shouldn't be affected.

Yuri