bad tape hanging machine

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Tue Jul 12 18:52:52 GMT 2005

I have a freebsd 4.x machine running simple file and print services.
It has a scsi tape drive installed -- externally. It is attached to an
adaptec 2940uw. The internal 3 hard drives are attached to an adaptec
29160.

Last friday, the whole system locked up with an ugly error message
about scb's and scsi buffers .. lots of garbage. I was afraid I had
lost a hard drive.

So I started removing the drives and testing each one individually.
They all were perfect. So I removed the tape from the tape drive, and
booted the system.  Boot normally.. all is well. I put a new tape in
the drive, run a tar job to it okay. Run a dump of all file systems,
ok.

Now I wondering, could a bad tape cause the whole system to lock up?
That seems really BAD to have a single cassette tape bring a whole
system down.  Anyone else seen this?

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257