m4p conversion to mp4?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Mon Jul 11 01:22:53 GMT 2005

On 07/10/05 08:57 PM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
> This is probably painfully obvious, but I can't find it in the ports
> with a search or through google.
>
> I recently acquired an iPod Shuffle, and am enjoying it thoroughly.
> Unfortunately, I also acquired a gift card for the iTunes store, so I
> thought it would be better to get a copy of "Bohemian Rhapsody"
> through the store rather than go buy the CO.  I'm not a big enough fan
> to listen to "Radio GaGa" if I don't have to.
>
> Anyway, I learned something disturbing.  They give you the music you
> buy in m4p format, which is an mp4 format protected by an MD5
> derivative.  I think.
>
> Normally I wouldn't really care, except I can't play this (and other
> iTunes downloads) on my FreeBSD (5.4 RELEASE-p4) box.  Just the
> Windoze box and the Shuffle.  Rhythmbox won't play it, and xmms won't
> even play mp4 (it complains about an undefined reference or
> something).
>
> A quick search on Google provided enough to assure me that converting
> this file to mp4 is possible, but nothing definitive has turned up.
>
> Is there a port that can convert this file format to mp4?  If so, are
> there any special build parameters required?

Sorry for the error above.  What I meant was I want to convert from
m4p to m4a format.

I've found the alac decoder, but that puts out either raw pcm or wav
format.

TIA
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Sturgeon's Law:
  90% of everything is crud.