FreeBSD locks up when X-windows running (LONG)

Andreas Kohn andreas at syndrom23.de
Sun Jul 10 11:04:52 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 10:40 +0100, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Andreas Kohn wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >say, do you see any messages like
> >
> >NVRM: Xid: 13, 0000 02005600 00000056 00000c28 006500ac 00000080
> >
> >(Numbers may vary, I think)
> >in your kernel messages after such a lock-up happened?
> >

> AFAIK this is not a FreeBSD-specific problem.  I think this URL is right
> but the site isn't responding at the moment.  I don't know if there is a
> solution there or not.  There were some interesting comments about
> running glxgears before running a game making things better, if that's
> the kind of thing you are doing (gaming, that is), but I never got to
> the end of the thread.  Most people reported the problem on much newer
> cards but the Xid is the classic symptom.
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49117
>
> You could always try the nv drivers.  My Ge2 worked fine on them for
> years, while my  6600 suffered corruption at least once a day.

Hi,

I'm using the nvidia-provided drivers because of the speed increase they
give. nv works fine, yes...but too slow :)

I spent some time reading through the posts, and yes, there were some
very interesting things said there. Thanks for the pointer.
For some reason, my system now works with 7667. No hangs, no NVRM
messages.
The only things I changed:
- a lot of reinstalling 6113/7667, perhaps somewhere there was a
  corrupted file that now got mysteriously replaced by a correct
  version?
- playing with modelines. I changed the resolution from 1920x1200 to
  1600x1000, to gain a higher refresh rate. Before, I also saw
    NVRM: Xid: 17, Head=0 X=1920 Y=1200 Refresh=75
  which I regarded as simple information items from nvidia-driver. I
  don't get these messages with 1600x1000 anymore.

So whatever it was, it looks gone. Unfortunately, I can't give any tips
on what to try :/

Thanks!

--
Andreas

--
<TalisA> was macht man eigentlich auf einer linux-gamer lan ? hl server
aufsetzen und freuen ? *duck* ^^