[Fwd: Re: cdrom mount question]

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jul 8 22:54:09 GMT 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Garrett Cooper wrote:

Andreas Davour wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Bryan Maynard wrote:
>

>> I am not running as root when trying to access the device and I'm
>> sure this is the problem. . . I just don't know how to fix it :-) .
>

> I don't know if I used amaroK or whatever KDE player was in the menu,
> but I just acted like the disc was mounted and it worked. It was a bit
> strange, since I had tried hard to change the protection on the device
> without getting it to work. Maybe the player ran setuid root or
> something, and tried to do magic on its own.
>
> Have amaroK actually complained about the disc not being mounted? If
> not, just try without mountinga and you might be lucky.

Audio CDs shouldn't be mounted... If you try and do that you will most
likely encounter issues with reading the CD. All that you would have to
do most likely is change the permissions for the device to allow full
read access to you on a user or group level (ie 0666, 0660 or
equivalent). Modifying /etc/devfsd.conf to your liking is the best way
to go to retain changes across boots.