a sort ?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Fri Jul 8 17:28:51 GMT 2005

On 07/08/05 09:51 AM, Daniel Malaby sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to sort a tab delimited file with sort. The problem I am
> having is with the -t option. I can not get it to accept a tab.
>
> Things I have tried:
>
> sort -t \t
> sort -t '\t'
> sort -t "\t"
> sort -t 0x09
> sort -t '0x09'
> sort -t "0x09"
> sort -t ^I
> sort -t '^I'
> sort -t "^I"

Did you try sorting without the -t parameter?  IIRC, it uses
whitespace to delimit fields by default, which includes the tab.
Unless you're trying to sort by a field other than the first, you
really don't need it anyway.

Then again, you could also just hit the tab key: -t '	'.

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Genius doesn't work on an assembly line basis.  You can't simply say,
"Today I will be brilliant."