Did we must put the mounted partition '/' and '/boot' in the same slice ?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jul 7 22:52:38 GMT 2005

RW wrote:

>On Thursday 07 July 2005 18:27, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>

>>1Gb just because it's peanuts to a 200Gb disk, and I don't bother with
>>/tmp separately.
>>

>I use one because, by default,  / is mounted without soft-updates. It is
>possible to turn it on, but for the sake of a few hundred MB it seems
>sensible to go with the default of a separate partition.

If I ran a machine with users on it, I might agree :-)  But there's just
me and I set TMP and TMPDIR to /var/tmp which many programs used to pick
up on when I first set them years ago.  sort does, for e.g. and that was
always a tmp killer in the kind of environments I worked in.  Plus *I*
know to use /var/tmp.

Nowadays my /tmp has a small number of sockets and gubbins so I doubt
softupdates would make any perceivable difference to me.

Horses for courses,

--Alex