Minimum Install w/ X11 on Virtual PC

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 7 19:23:32 GMT 2005

Hakim,
 	You're pressing it a bit considering that X does use up a bit of
resources, and considering that you have an additional system overlayed on
top of Windows (I assume you are using XP), you will want to actually go
out and get more RAM. You are unfortunately working with conditions which
may become extremely laggy for you and will ultimately lead to less than
desired performance. I know because I ran Windows XP on vmware, and having
another Virtual machine running on your computer eats up a lot of
resources, and hence decreases the peak usable performance of the system
greatly. Either get at least 512 Mb Ram, or consider switching from
Gnome/KDE to something doable like Fluxbox, FWM2, or XFCE since they don't
use nearly as much memory as Gnome/KDE.
-Garrett