disk write barriers

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Thu Jul 7 15:45:37 GMT 2005

Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> writes:

>Do you have a background in OS design?  It affects the answer, because
>you seem to be referring to access barriers and disk cache flushes
>interchangeably, which doesn't make sense, especially on
>multiprocessor systems.

>From what I understand from some googling, disk write barriers are
specially crafted i/o requests (within the vfs/driver infrastructure)
that are acted on by block drivers as following: all requests before a
barrier request will be completed before any request that follows the
barrier is executed. The driver accomplishes that by issuing the
respective flush commands (or uses queue ordering or whatever is
supported by the drive) or (in the case of IDE/SATA), may disable and
reenable the cache on a barrier. Thus, the barrier maintains an on-disk
ordering in requests between "earlier" and "later" requests (otherwise
the driver and/or the disk could reorder writes at will).

Since the system doesn't actually run with the cache disabled because
it's only used for flushing at sequence points, neither performance nor
drive wearout is negatively influenced (noticably, that is).

An actual application of this is, with journaled filesystems, that the
journal will get written to disk before the data is updated. This will
guarantee filesystem integrity. From what I understand, MS Windows is
doing it that way, and Linux is also using that mechanism (with support
for SATA disks only in the latest 2.6 kernel, though.)

>The problem with caching has nothing to do with flushing the cache; if
>you flush the cache often, there's no advantage to using it anyway.
>The whole speedup from using on-disk caching comes from the fact that
>the drive reorders the writes at will, and lies to the operating
>system by saying the writes are done when they aren't.  Among other

Apparently, performance (and wear&tear) is not overly negatively
influenced, since it's used only for periodic flushing after the journal
has been written (or potentially, at other events, such as a sync() or
fsync() etc.)

>obvious problems, this negates the careful ordering calculated by
>softupdates.

That's where my headaches start.
Softupdates doesn't write a journal at intervals but seems to order
writes in general, in a continuous way. Therefore, it would appear that
there are no such sequence points. I'm not really aware of the details
of how softupdates works, so I'm probably wrong.
I only know that running with the cache disabled seems to be the only
safe way to assure that the ordering done by softupdates isn't broken.
But disabling the cache is a no-no on modern drives, since they are
constructed to be used with the cache on, and disabling it will yield
terrible performance and significantly reduce the MTBF, at least on
IDE/SATA drives (I'm not talking about enterprise-grade 15krpm SCSI
drives, where the situation might be different).

So what's the recommended procedure? Relying on an UPS or that the power
will not fail? I mean, I could run fully asynch then and the whole
softupdates is of little use, except for (relatively rare) occasions of
a kernel crash.

>This doesn't follow.  Just because you know that your drive supports
>disabling the cache does not mean that it is safe to do so.

Why is that so?

mkb.