ftp access Q's to ftp.freeBSD & mirrors

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Thu Jul 7 11:03:09 GMT 2005

Hay I use the same thing and just went to ftp.lt.FreeBSD.org &
ftp.Freebsd.org with no problem.

WINSOCK.DLL: Microsoft wsock32.dll, ver2.2, 32bit of Jun  7 2000, at
21:34:15.
WS_FTP95 LE 4.50 97.05.17, Copyright © 1992-1997 Ipswitch, Inc.

In the session properities I use this.

Host name      ftp.lt.freebsd.org
host type     automatic detect
user id    I check mark the anonymous box
Password      spam at noisp.com

then click on OK button and it loges me into the server just fine.

Now about the subject of long download times because of liminted
bandwidth.
WS_FTP95 does not have resume ability.
I have T1 connection to public internet so not a issue for me.

Using MS/Windows to get ISO CD images
First of all the .ISO file extension is not supported in the native
MS/Windows world. Sure you can download it from one of the FBSD FTP
sites and burn it to a CD using MS/Windows, but you end up with a
data disk where the ISO file is a single file, not a bootable CD
containing the FBSD directory tree which you need to install from.
The second major problem is you need a fast Internet connection,
(IE: ISDN, DSL, CABLE) to download over. Using a 56K modem will take
over 28 hours per CD if you are lucky enough that your ISP does not
cut you off or the FTP server does not get busy and suspend your
session. To resolve this problem of using a MS/Windows box to obtain
the FBSD install CDROM image you will need a MS/Windows FTP program
that can restart the ftp download where it left off at, if it gets
terminated during the initial download. I used SMARTFTP from
www.smartftp.com. Then you need a MS/Windows program that can burn
ISO files to CDROM. I used Nero from www.nero.com. The downloaded
demos from these sites work just fine to do what you have to do to
create your FBSD mini install CDROM. Uninstall them, but keep the
downloaded install zip files for them and next time you need to
retrieve a FBSD .ISO file, just reinstall to get a new 30 day demo.