Has this box been hacked?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Jul 7 05:56:07 GMT 2005

Sure, FreeBSD 4.11 is very easy for a remote attacker to root.
All you need to do is let a user on it setup some convenient
password like the word "password" for the root user, and use
the same on an easy-to-remember userID
like "sam" or "bob", then put a DNS entry in for it like
"porno-pictures.example.com" and post that on a popular website
and it shouldn't take but a few days for it to get rooted.

Other than that, give me a break, Brett.  If this is a router and
an out of the box install then there's no services turned on
that can be rooted.  Is it customary to run a webserver on your
router nowadays?

Give us a list of services this box is running and we can give
you a better idea of how easy it might be to root.

Ted