devfs permissions wierdness

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 6 23:11:23 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 04:11:41PM -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> I have my devfs config set up to allow certain devices to be mounted
> by users in the cdusers group as follows:
>
> own     da1     root:cdusers
> perm    da1     0660
> own     da1a    root:cdusers
> perm    da1a    0660
> own     da1c    root:cdusers
> perm    da1c    0660
> own     da1s1   root:cdusers
> perm    da1s1   0660
>
> Problem is it doesn't work unless I go in as root and manually restart
> the devfs facility with `/etc/rc.d/devfs restart`

Configuration for devices present at boot goes into devfs.conf. For
hotpluggable devices, the rules (with slightly different format) should
go in devfs.rules.

The manual pages I wrote for devfs.conf and devfs.rules were committed
to CURRENT a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if and when they will
appear in 5-STABLE. But you can find them on my FreeBSD webpage:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/ This page has some more info about
setting this up.

HTH

Roland