Simple question

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Wed Jul 6 19:58:06 GMT 2005

On 07/06/05 03:45 PM, Efren Bravo sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hi again,
>
> I'm reading a Pdf book downloaded from freeBSD.org called FreeBSD
> Handbook and there I always find this references:
>
> sendmail(8)
> sshd(8)
> /etc/inetd.conf(5)  <-Which is the meaning of those numbers

This refers to the manpage section that would describe the utilitiy in
question.  For instance, the sendmail(8) manpage can be accessed with
the following:
man 8 sendmail

If you omit the '8' you will get the sendmail manpage from section 1
of the manpages, which describes (if you have postfix installed,
anyway) the postfix to sendmail compatibility interface.

To see what each section focuses on, see:
man <section #> intro

Also, you might find the following of interest:
man man
man apropos

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

modesty, n.:
  Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.