Start telnet server help

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Wed Jul 6 19:53:08 GMT 2005

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Did you actually add the pkg for the telnet server? Also, realize that
> port 21 is the default listening port for telnet, so if you thought that
> the open ports displayed is out of the ordinary, it's not really unless
> you changed the listening port. Have you tried telnetting to yourself
> (ie telnet localhost)?
> -Garrett

Umm... telnet will appear on port 23, actually. 21 is for ftp.

> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Efren Bravo wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've followed these steps to try to install telnet server but it
>> doesn't works:
>> #sysinstall ->Option: "Configure"
>> ->Option: "Networking"
>> ->Option: "Inetd" : This option loads /etc/inetd.conf file where I
>> uncommented the line:
>> telnet stream tcp nowait root .....
>> and at last I restart the system but when I make a ports scan it only
>> has 21, 25 and 110 ports open.
>> How do I start telnet server?

Have you got a line indicating
inetd_enable="YES"
in your /etc/rc.conf?

If so, the telnet server should be operational given the config file
edit you cite above. I don't believe it requires a separate package
to be installed (4.x didn't, but 5.x might, I suppose). Rather than
a port scan, you could test with some thing simpler, like

$ telnet localhost

Final note: telnet is "off by default" for a good reason (inherent
insecurity). If you don't have a really good reason (e.g. "my
priceless, irreplaceable legacy application requires telnet"), you
should probably set yourself up to use SSH for remote logins instead.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348