How do I reinstall the FreeBSD bootmanager? - next problem :-(

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Wed Jul 6 18:15:36 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 10:27:50AM -0500, Bob Willcox wrote:
> I need to reinstall the FreeBSD bootmanager on one of my systems and
> was hoping someone can point me in the right direction on doing this.
> I tried running /sbin/sysinstall but decided that I wasn't confident
> enough of what I was doing to risk trashing my install.
>
> BTW, this is on an amd64 6-current system incase it matters.

I've received several private emails with suggested solutions. The
simplest one for me (since I do have FreeBSD up and running on the
system was to use the boot0cfg command thusly:

    boot0cfg -B -s 4 -m 0xd ad4

Now, to my original problem (that caused me to overwrite the FreeBSD
boot manager with another that I tried called GAG).

This particular system has a single 300 GB harddrive installed with four
Slices (partitions in the DOS vernacular) setup as follows:

1   Windows XP (~100 GB)
2   Linux swap (~2 GB)
3   Linux root (~82 GB)
4   FreeBSD (~102 GB)

With the FreeBSD boot manager (and with GAG) I can successfully boot
Windows and FreeBSD, but not Linux. It's as though the boot record is
not being found (geometry problems?).

Perhaps someone out there has a suggestion on what's wrong, and what
can be done to fix it.

Thanks again,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox                Reality is nothing but a collective hunch.
bob at immure.com                     -- Lily Tomlin