dhclient.conf for wireless interface

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Wed Jul 6 18:13:16 GMT 2005

Erik Nørgaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure dhclient to associate with the correct
> accesspoint, I use FreeBSD Current with the new dhclient ported from
> OpenBSD.
>
> The examples I can find mentions that I should create an entry in my
> dhclient.conf like this:
>
> interface "ath0" {
>     media "ssid AP1 mode 11g", "ssid AP2 mode 11g";
> }
>
> and dhclient will then first try to associate with AP1 and then AP2.
>
> The problem is that with that setup dhclient enters into an aparently
> infinite loop bringing up and down the interface, until I break it. I
> have to manually run 'ifconfig ssid AP1 mode 11g' first.

Erik,

FWIW, it looks like you are doing the right thing.  Maybe you have hit a
bug?

There may be a tweak for dhclient's configuration to extend the amount
of time it will attempt a profile before giving up and trying the next.
I would like to think that "mode 11g" is superflous, and that you can
just set that before-hand, or at a lower level ...

Good Luck,
-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/