Migrating FreeBsd installation to another hard drive

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jul 6 17:01:12 GMT 2005

Chris Roos wrote:

> One final question is whether the dump/restore process is the best
> approach in this instance?  I have read about using dd but am not
> entirely sure whether this would do what I need?

No, you should use dump/restore and if it is the root partition you will
need to edit fstab afterwards.

--Alex

PS There's a FAQ all about this.  I have no wish to decry the bsdvault
article you quote, since I haven't read it -- it may even be the same as
the FAQ.  But if the FAQ or handbook  has a section answering your
question, then it is always likely to be the best starting point.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK