Nothing works

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Wed Jul 6 03:14:22 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 6 July 2005 04:56, Timothy McLouth wrote:
> First i tried to make my own installation cd(s) from the instructions
> given, they did not work so I e-mailed for answers got two different
> answers neither of which worked so i bought the installation cd(s) ver

Pff, sounds like you had a really bad experience there. Please note though
that the poeple you are mailing here are not the ones you bought any CDs
from. Anyway, let's see if we can get this solved...

> 5.4...I downloaded the manual which is of little or no use due to
> variations in installation methods described in the manual and what is

? Can you say what was diffrent. If so the docs are perhaps outdated.

> actually shown on screen...the ports collection came with it...when i use
> the make install command it tries to access the internet..then i get a
> message saying, it couldnt fetch,... try manually... error 1...what is the

Hmm during sysinstall(8) I suppose you didn't set up any host/ip and route?
You should, or do it by hand (/etc/resolv.conf)

> problem i would really like to use this operating system...I also bought a
> book for $47 which is useless, the title is misleading..."The design and
> implementation of FreeBSD" is of no use unless you want to know what the

That's a book for developers. Try Greg LeHey's.. or while you're at it,
probably the Handbook is the best.

> processor is doing from start to end....what a waste of money......I am
> familiar with unix and still have my unix book from college, in addition i
> have a bachelors of science in computer information systems...Im begining
> to believe that this is all BS unless i get some straight answers...

Well, hope I give some. FreeBSD is quite useful to me (as a desktop and
firewall/router). I prefer it over other OS'es. Just ask the list or me if
you need more help (and don't forget the very useful Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/)

If you have some patience and are willing to learn, chances that you're gonna
be running a nice FreeBSD system next week are good (barring hardware issues)

HTH,

Dan