Dump & Restore to smaller partition

Gareth Bailey gjbailey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 14:16:43 GMT 2005

Hello,

Does anyone know if the dump and restore method for
moving a partition to a new disk requires the destination
partition to be as big or bigger that the source?

>From my understanding, the whole partition, including
blank space will be dumped and restored. If this is the
case then the destination will need to be at least as big.

My situation is as follows:
I have a 30GB usr partition with about 10GB of data in it.
I want to move this data (flags and all!) to a new 20GB
usr partition.

Will dump/restore do this? .. or what should i use?

Thanks!
Gareth