Linux move to FreeBSD

Mike Brown mike at hyperreal.org
Tue Jul 5 07:13:32 GMT 2005

Bob Hall wrote:
> The belief that guys with red skin, horns, pointy tails, and pitchforks
> represent the devil is a European superstition, not a Christian
> doctrine. There's no support for it in the Bible or the writings of the
> church fathers.

There is also no support, except among BSD fans, for horned, pointy-tailed,
red-skinned creatures with pitchforks representing anything other than a li'l
devil. Saying it represents an invisible, oft-benevolent 'daemon' has very
little credibility when the mascot was clearly intended to look like what
two-thirds of humanity would recognize as _el diablo_, albeit an awfully
harmless, cartoony one.

I think I will give one of my favorite input & control devices, the 'mouse', a
mascot. It'll look a lot like this guy:
http://images.google.com/images?q=mickey%20mouse
...but if anyone complains I'll just tell them it's clearly not an animate
rodent, but is rather a stylized, anthropomorphic interpretation of a computer
accessory. I'm sure the lawyers at Disney will see my point of view. Hey, if
it works for Beastie the "daemon"...

On a more serious note, am I the only one who has been getting hiccups of
freebsd-questions mail from last year? I just got a bunch of traffic
(including one of the previous incarnations of this abysmal Beastie logo
non-debate) from late December, all posts that I had seen before.