accidental overwrite

steve lasiter slas7713 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 23:17:18 GMT 2005

First let me say that I've been sucessful in finding
all my answer either online, at the BSD website, or in
my "Absolute BSD" book until now. I recently installed
FreeBSD version 5.4 along with Apache 1.3, PHP5, and
MySQL 5.02. I had everything working together great
until today when I tried to copy over a .sql file so
MySQL could see it and run it. I accidentally copied
it over to /usr/local/bin/mysql thinking mysql was a
directory. You can see the problem. Now I cannot start
mysql at the command prompt from the /usr/local/bin
since I overwrote the the required mysql file.

My question(s) are: Is there any way to revert back to
the original file if this type of mistake is made? If
not is there anyway to get just that one file without
having to do a complete removal and installation? And
finally, is the only way to NOT do this again is to
use the appropriate flags with cp?

Thanks for you help,

Dean Lasiter