List all make targets?

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Mon Jul 4 18:43:49 GMT 2005

>Michael Dexter wrote:
>>Is there a 'make' flag to list all make targets for any given
>>directory containing Makefile* ?
>
>grep ':' Makefile  ...comes pretty close.

Another reader suggested I cat the file... I take it the answer is
"no." Specifically I am looking for a quick way to see the make
targets as 'make' would accept them while hunting for 'uninstall' and
other surprises. I see that it gets complicated as i.e. "_legacy" is
a legitimate target along with "buildworld." More to investigate!

>>It's a brilliant mechanism but I get lost chasing variables that
>>may span /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 and /usr/share/mk/ and...
>
>What problem are you trying to solve?

My understanding of the system for the purposes of world reduction
and custom release engineering. My work is 1/2 way to being an
informal howto on the subject.

Thanks to all who responded.

Michael.