Linux move to FreeBSD

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 23:24:30 GMT 2005

On 7/4/05, Bob Hall <rjhjr at cox.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 01:02:33AM +0400, Dmitry Mityugov wrote:
> > I am, personally, currently helping my friend to buy and configure a
> > computer for him and his family. Although I know FreeBSD better than
> > Linux (and this does not mean I am a FreeBSD guru), I'll be installing
> > something like Ubuntu on that machine, not FreeBSD, because my friend
> > and his family are religious men.
>
> There are plenty of devout Christians using FreeBSD without any problem.
> The belief that guys with red skin, horns, pointy tails, and pitchforks
> represent the devil is a European superstition, not a Christian
> doctrine. There's no support for it in the Bible or the writings of the
> church fathers.

The problem is, my friend lives closer to Europe than to anything
else, and I don't want to dispute with him about what's right and
wrong in his believings. In addition, both "demon" and "daemon" are
translated to the same word in our language, that would make the task
of explaining the difference to him even less attractive to me.

BTW, it's not only a European superstition, as this story indicates:
http://rmitz.org/freebsd.daemon.html (that was the first link from
many).

--
Dmitry

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"