Question about the RELENG_5 branch ...

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 19:58:21 GMT 2005

On 7/1/05, Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at seton.org> wrote:
>       I was under the impression that the only patches being back ported
> in 5.4-RELEASE are from the security team to fix security related
> issues. Do patches that resolve problems that are known to cause panics
> get back ported as well?

Yes it's possible. The severity of the problem and how common it is
determines likelihood of it getting backported. Also the 5.4 branch
has been label an errata branch so that makes it even more likely for
big problem to be backported.

 http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/errata_policy.html

It's never a good idea to move production equipment to -STABLE.
-STABLE doesn't imply that the code is stable, only that it won't have
drastic changes like -CURRENT does. Doing this should be your last
option.