Please advise on triple-head _HIGH_ resolution solution for FreeBSD ...

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 21:06:04 PST 2005

Hello,

To let me say initially, I have the goal of buying
three of the new apple 30" cinemadisplays and running
them as one large extended desktop in x11 under
FreeBSD.

The displays are 2560x1600, and I want to utilize them
at full resolution.

The question:  what hardware can perform this _and_
work under FreeBSD ?  My guess is I have three
choices:

- find _one_ PCI-X or AGP card that can drive all
three monitors at once ... the matrox p750 can do
this, but only at 1280x1024 for three screens.  The
new matrox APVe can also do this, but only at
1920x1080 or below (not quite clear) ... so these are
not valid choices ... are there any single cards that
can do 3x (2560x1600) ?

- find three normal PCI cards that can each drive
2560x1600 ... not sure if such advanced cards were
ever made for plain old PCI, or how well that would
work ... at 3x that res, would I be getting close to
saturating the PCI bus ?

- find a system that has 3 PCI-X slots in it (does
that exist ?) and then find 3 PCI-X gfx cards that can
each do 2560x1600 ... any thoughts on this line ?  And
if so, what would be a good FreeBSD supported gfx card
to stick three of in a system ?

------

Obviously I need help ... so any comments at all are appreciated.