port update problem - deleted all the ports

Donald J. O'Neill donaldj1066 at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 31 08:26:37 PST 2005

On Monday 31 January 2005 07:56 am, saravanan ganapathy wrote:
> --- Mark Ovens <marko at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > saravanan ganapathy wrote:
> > > Hai ,
> > >
> > > I am using 5.3 release and included tag=RELENG_5_3

> > > my ports-supfile and when I tried to update ports
> > > using " cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile", it
> >
> > deleted
> >
> > > almost all the ports and finally it says
> > > Delete ports/x11-wm/yawm/Makefile
> > > Delete ports/x11-wm/yawm/distinfo Delete
> > > ports/x11-wm/yawm/pkg-descr
> > > Shutting down connection to server
> > > Finished successfully
> > >

> > > My ports-supfile looks as
> > >
> > > *default host=cvsup10.us.freebsd.org
> > > *default base=/var/db
> > > *default prefix=/usr
> > > *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
> > > *default delete use-rel-suffix
> > > ports-all
> > >

> > > What is the problem?
> >
> > The ports tree doesn't have tags so you should edit
> > the above to
> >
> > *default release=cvs tag=.
> >
> > Note the '.'!!
> >
> > Also are you sure that you want your ports tree in
> > /var/db? /usr would
> > be more usual.
> >
> > *default base=/usr
>
> I need to update to RELENG_5_3 from release. If I
> don't include "tag=RELENG_5_3" , then how the server
> 'll gets updated to RELENG_5_3?
>
> I need to update my packages with the latest security
> patches.
>
> I am not sure. Pls correct me if I am wrong
>
> Sarav

Sarav,

If, as you say, you want to go to RELENG_5_3, it's going to take more
than updating your ports tree. With that in mind, I'm going to give you
a supfile that will upgrade your sources.

supfile:
##################################
*default tag=RELENG_5_3
*default host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/var/db
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
#*default compress

src-all
ports-all tag=.
doc-all
###################################

The above will update your sources to what you have asked for, and
that's it. You still have to do a buildworld sequence in order to make
the necessary updates to the kernal and userland. You still have to
upgrade the installed packages.

Look at the handbook, read /usr/src/UPDATING and /usr/ports/UPDATING,
search the archives and google search the internet. Then ask some more
questions.

Don
--
Donald J. O'Neill