Booting FreeBSD-5.3 from NTLDR

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 31 03:34:47 PST 2005

Loren M. Lang wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:16:25PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
>> Thanks for that link! I had read that part of the handbook a long time
>> ago, and that's how my ideas of boot0 and boot1 and etc etc had gotten
>> clear. Glad to see it once again -- in the context of my question! :))
>>
>> So what I understand now is -- copying boot0 over to c:\bootsect.bsd
>> will *not* work. Which explains why my MBR got messed up when I tried
>> booting FreeBSD this way. :(
>>
>> But I'm still confused. How do I install boot0 using sysinstall? As
>> far as I remm, sysinstall gives three options -- (a) leave the MBR
>> untouched, (b) put a standard MBR, and (c) install BootEasy. My
>> understanding is that option (b) copies boot0 to the MBR, and this
>> that is what I had chosen while installing FreeBSD. How does one copy
>> boot0 to a file using sysinstall??
>
> I think option b is actually /boot/mbr and BootEasy refers to
> /boot/boot0.  They are two different boot loaders, mbr being a very
> simple one with no configuration.  I think fdisk -B is used to install
> /boot/mbr to the mbr of a harddisk and boot0cfg is used to install
> BootEasy.

I rewrote that section of the FAQ years ago (around FreeBSD 3.1!!)
because the previous wording was unclear and I did _exactly_ what
Rakhesh has done :-(

At that time it was not possible to add FreeBSD to the NTLDR menu if
FreeBSD was on a _different disk_ so you had to either use the FreeBSD
boot menu or put the FreeBSD root partition on the same disk as NT
(which usually required a BIOS that could boot beyond the first 1024
cylinders) or use the FreeBSD boot manager (which used /boot/boot0).

This is what I have done ever since. As I only have a single user set up
in XP it doesn't show the NTLDR menu so you don't have to go through two
boot menus, just the FreeBSD F1/F5 choice.

Caveat: Things have no doubt changed since then so it may now be
possible to add FreeBSD to the NTLDR menu with FreeBSD on a different
disk, but I've never investigated it as I am happy with the solution I use.

HTH

Regards,

Mark