5.3 interrupt storm (atapicam) and I/O error

Mark Rowlands mark.rowlands at mypost.se
Sun Jan 30 02:39:35 PST 2005

On Saturday 29 January 2005 05:30, ad5gb wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Not sure what to think about this yet but it definitely has something to do
> with having my ATAPI CD connected to the 2nd channel of my Promise Ultra
> 133 TX2 adapter (PDC20269).  If I disconnect the cable from channel 2 the
> kernel will boot with atapicam enabled.  I don't seem to be able to use my
> motherboard's embedded EIDE controller with the Promise adapter installed.
> I don't see any obvious I/O or interrupt conflicts, but I also don't have
> too much control over it with this old SuperMicro mainboard.
>
> Seems odd to me though, since this all worked on 5.2.1.  Open for
> suggestions, but for now I'm going to try to track down the SCSI I/O error
> problem so I can get some CD burning done (critical system backups) and
> then I'll see if I can try to figure out if this is an EIDE driver issue or
> a atapicam issue.
>
> If anyone comes up with anything in the meantime... please YELL!
>

> Kind regards
>
> --
> Randall D. DuCharme (Radio AD5GB)
>
> Powered by FreeBSD!
> The Power to Serve
>

>  --- On Fri 01/28, Daniel S. Haischt < me at daniel.stefan.haischt.name >
> wrote: From: Daniel S. Haischt [mailto: me at daniel.stefan.haischt.name]
> To: olivier.certner at free.fr
>      Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:37:21 +0100
> Subject: Re: 5.3 interrupt storm (atapicam) and I/O error
>
> I don't know whether this is related to your issue,<br>but on one of my
> boxes I am also getting an interrupt<br>storm with atapicam
> enabled.<br><br>On FreeBSD 5.2.1 I did not experience any
> interrupt<br>storm issues, even if using the same hardware
> configuration.<br><br>Have a look at the attached text file for a
> with CAM <br>> (using KsCD)"? Maybe we have fallen on the same kind of bug
> try to reproduce the problem I had. I've no <br>> time to test your
> scenario (the one with the EIDE drive, I don't have SCSI) <br>> now, but
> I'll try to reproduce it at the beginning of next week, in order to <br>>
> see if the freeze happens also on my computer.<br>> <br>>  Hope this will

I am also having a shitload of problems on my newly installed 5.3 box (which
was a happy camper under 4.x. I have a promise tx2 100 board. there are a
pair of disks with a geom stripe over them,  Under heavy i/o the system
either freezes or crashes. I will have some time later next week to
investigate but I am really inclined to use the time to revert to 4.11.