how to monitor system resources etc

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sat Jan 29 18:00:01 PST 2005

Hi

I am having a problem with apache/php/mysql or something.   One
customers stuff tends to blow the machine up. I would like to be able
to monitor stuff and never remember the tools etc to monitor  things.
Process slots,  memory, buffers, etc.  (I always remember how to look
at mbufs buffers though) or whatever else I can look at and see if we
are hitting a limit.  Any pointers to stuff that explains the best way
to track things down would be great.

This is on 4.9/10 for now.

Sorry for being so vague.  I am not getting anything in
/var/log/messages and the mysql and apache logs don't give a lot.

Symptoms are lots of httpsd child processes in sbwait and a few in
lockf state.  All of a sudden load goes up from <1 or 1-2 range to over
200 and the swap space starts to rapidly fill (I suspect load is caused
by the excessive swapping).  The swapfile is getting up to about 55%
full before it starts to fix itself).  (2GB RAM, 4GB swap --- 2 x 2gb
-- dual AMD Athlon MP machine). It will fix itself after a while and
the load will go down as will the swap usage, but mysql or the php
stuff or one of them is still hung up and won't respond.  The apache
only handles this site. Other customers have their own apache
installations.

Apache is 1.3.33+ssl (ben-ssl)
Mysql is now 4.1.9
php is 5.0.3