panic on boot

Xian ian at codepad.net
Sat Jan 29 15:22:07 PST 2005

On Saturday 29 January 2005 13:41, Mike Hauber wrote:
> On Saturday 29 January 2005 08:15 am, Xian wrote:
> > I woke up this morning to find that my computer had rebooted
> > and panicked as soon as the kernel had started to run. it said:
> >
> >  The rights of the University...
> > panic: vm_page_insert: alredy inserted
> > uptime: 0s
> >
> > in bright white on the screen. All I could do was switch it off
> > and on and it just did it again. Help: how do I fix it? It was
> > running 4.9R. This is my home web server that I use quite a lot
> > from college. It is extremely old - its a P90.
> >
> > Thank God for getting me to play around with taking backups 2
> > days ago.
>
> I've seen this on various lists before, and I _think_ the general
> consensus was to first check the RAM by taking all the modules
> out but one and then adding them back until the panic returns.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike, I found the bad stick of ram, unfortunately this computer has a
strange obsession about sticks of ram being in pairs!? So I can't use the
other good stick of 32MB (There were 2 other good stick of 32MB).
Gone from 128MB to 64 - Ouch!
I have found another 2 sticks of 16MB in my spars box so that makes 96MB not
too bad I suppose.

--
/Xian

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison