Docs for Berkeley Make?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Jan 29 13:02:40 PST 2005

On 2005-01-29 20:53, Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> wrote:
> I just got the O'Reilly book on GNU Make, but I'd really like to focus
> on Berkeley Make when possible.  Where can I find some good examples
> (other than the source tree makefiles, which are very complex) and
> documentation on the differences between the two versions of make?

If you have the "doc" package set installed, look in:

	/usr/share/doc/psd/12.make

If not, the same documents are available as part of the online FreeBSD
documentation set:

	http://docs.FreeBSD.org/

This is not a comparison of GNU make and BSD make.  It's just a guide
for BSD make.  I believe it's a guide that is better than trying to
decipher the makefiles of the src/ tree.  AFAIK, the latter tend to
depend on a lot of features of the src/share/mk/* stuff, which are not
necessarily available and do not work exactly the same with all versions
of BSD make out there.