Xorg config failure - help requested

John john at starfire.mn.org
Sat Jan 29 08:13:36 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:47:08AM -0500, Alan E. Beard wrote:
> Folks:
>
> Your kind help is solicited in the matter of an xorg config which fails
> to initialize on
>    "(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."
>
> Hardware is Sony PCV-L640, which is packaged from the manufacturer with
> an LCD display, Sony part number PCVA-15XTAP2.  The maker's spec on the
> display calls out native resolution of 1024x768, and vidcontrol seems to
> confirm this.  Additionally, DDC seems to find the display and read a
> reasonable set of parms. This notwithstanding, xorg server
> initialization fails.
>
> I've tried explicitly specifying DisplaySize, HorizSync, VertRefresh in
> the Monitor block of the conf file, to no avail.
>
> Log files, config files, and supporting data below.
>
> Any ideas concerning some means of torturing this config into working
> will be welcome.

I had the same sorts of problems trying to use the x config scripts.

My advice is to ignore the config scripts and follow the simple
procedure in the FreeBSD handbook - "X -configure" and then test,
check the log file to see if the monitor information is in there,
or if not, search the web for an X11 entry for your monitor, or
dig up the monitor specs and build it by hand.  Other than the
monitor part, it is quick and easy.

Now I have X.org up and runnning on four different machines - and
I'm loving it!
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG