Missing INDEX file in Ports.

Julien Gabel jpeg at thilelli.net
Sat Jan 29 03:53:53 PST 2005

>>> Your missing the point.  INDEX is supposed to be in the RELEASES
>>> on the CDROMs because the CD's are supposed to be self-contained,
>>> ie: you should not require an Internet connection to get a complete
>>> install.  Otherwise there's no point in even bothering to release
>>> the CDROMS in the first place.

>> Included or not, the release is self contained (and don't require an
>> internet in that case) since the INDEX or INDEX-5 file can always be
>> generated from the local ports tree, via :
>>   # cd /usr/ports; make index

> So can many of the utilities - like perl and X - that are now
> supplied as binaries.

Not self-contained on the disk1.

I said 'make index', not 'make fetchindex'.  The case of packages
themselves are another thing, i think.  I tend to think that this
file was forgotten during the release's process (but i don't know),
i just want to point the fact that it can be self-generated without
a network connection.  Nothing more.

> I guess you want to go back to the 386BSD days when you had
> to build all those things yourself.  I think you deserve to have
> your FreeBSD taken away for a month and be forced to run Solaris
> 2.5.1.  That will teach you to smart off about being able to generate
> things.  How would you like a Sendmail upgrade to take 2
> hours, eh?  Or let's see even better - how about bootstrapping
> a usable version of gcc on a SunOS box?  Been there, done that.
> We don't want to go back to those days.  There's a reason that
> precompiled and pregenerated stuff is included in the UNIX
> distributions.
>
> Neither Disk 1's require KDE or GNOME to be generated from the
> sources, either.

Nothing wrong here, however that was not my point in this post.

--
-jpeg.