Free BSD 5.3 SMP Kernel

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Sat Jan 29 03:11:01 PST 2005

Hi,

I am new to Free BSD ( and Linux) and have just setup a rather old
Proliant 5000 as a test machine. It has Quad PII processors and I would
like to make use of them. The Install CDs only come with the 'Standard'
kernel. Looking through the handbook implies that support for multiple
processors in 5.3 was removed due to problems.

I have seen references to a 5.3 SMP kernal though, is it possible to get
hold of this, or do I have to wait for 5.4 to be released? If so when is
this likely to be released.

Sorry if this is a simple question.

Thanks

Rob