remote login & default gateway problem

Ilia Rassadzin iliaroot at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 19:52:11 PST 2005

Hello list,

I've recently installed FBSD 5.3-Release at my amd64
laptop.
I faced with the following problems:

1) ftpd works only locally. When I trying to login
from remote hosts, it asks for username
and then displays "530 Unknown user"
under the very same user name I can login locally.
2)sshd works only locally and refuses remote
connections
3) I cannot ping my default gateway obtained through
DHCP - it returns "Host is down"

I guess that for the problem #3 I have to blame a
router misbehavior, but how can I fix #1 & #2?

No firewalls installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ilia

PS
I am not a list member, so could you please cc me.