DDB? Debugging kernel?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 28 13:23:31 PST 2005

On Thursday, 27 January 2005 at 22:39:05 -0600, John wrote:
> OK, folks - I've looked in the Handbook, and I've looked in
> _The Complete FreeBSD_ and I just get more confused.
>
> Is the option DDB gone?

In -CURRENT, yes.

> If so, how do you get ddb functions like db_readline into the
> kernel?  _The Complete FreeBSD_ still describes it, but the handbook
> doesn't mention it, and a "grep -i ddb *" in the conf directory
> comes up empty.

As Giorgos says, with KDB--*if* you're using -CURRENT..  But first we
need to know what version of FreeBSD you're running.  If it's
-CURRENT, you should be tracking the current@ mailing list and asking
questions (after much research :-) there, not here.

> The handbook still talkes about "makeoptions DEBUG=-g", but there's
> no such thing in NOTES or any other file in the conf directory.

From the -CURRENT version of /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC:

makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		# Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

> I'm going to try putting in the "makeoptions DEBUG=-g", though it
> may do nothing.

I'm a little confused where you got a configuration file that doesn't
already contain it.

> The NOTES file also includes a somewhat cryptic remark about the
> intel acpi code:
>
> ...  (Note that the Intel code must also have USE_DEBUGGER
> # defined when it is built).
>
> I tried making that a kernel option, but config says it is not
> defined.

This looks like something to do with building the ACPI code, not the
kernel itself.

Greg