cdcontrol fails

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Fri Jan 28 09:55:39 PST 2005

Hello FreeBSD friends.

I have been learning 5.3 FreeBSD on an old pentium 75 box on the last weeks.
The main target for this system is to have a light weight window manager to
surf the Internet and read emails. I have even compiled the kernel to
include
sound drivers. The system works pretty well with the fluxbox wm, links and
dillo WEB browsers, and sylpheed for email. This system is the mix
result of old
hardware I have received from friends, and even a CD-Writer and a spare 4GB
hard disk I got from my main computer (as I bought a DVD writer and have
another 40GB drive).

I has been a great experience to get things working, and learning at the
same
time. The great problem is that the machine is very slow for compiling :-(

Well, the system has got a CD-R and a CD-RW unit. The CD-R unit is an old
unit by Goldstar (I do not know what speed it is) and is placed as
"master".
The CD-RW unit is a LG model 3 years old and is s "slave". I tried to
listen
some music CD on the CD-R drive and got the following error messages:

  #cdcontrol -v -f /dev/acd0 play 1

  acd0:FAILURE - PLAY_MSF ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x21 ascq=0x00
error=4<ABORTED>

  dmesg line for  the drive at boot time is:

  acd0 CDROM <GCD-R540C/1.01> at ata1-master BIOSPIO

  The CD-RW drive works nicely with cdcontrol.

If you need more information, I will be pleased to help.
Even if you need the CD-R unit for development, it is yours.

Thanks.
Ramiro.