disklabel missing on a raid-5

Peter Wong faxmachine373 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 28 07:46:01 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm having a serious problem with one of my freebsd 4.6-R box. I have always
used Freebsd to run my database servers and I've never had such a problem.
If anyone knows the solution to my problem below, please let me know because
I have some really important data that I badly need.

Short story: Someone booted a database server by accident, it won't boot up
and got hang up right after post (where the /|\ spinning supposedly begins)
so that person booted it again, and again. (three times in total I think).

Anyway, since it won't boot up at all, I've decided to install a IDE HD with
Freebsd 4.6 on it, boot up the server and attempt to retrieve the database
backups from the messed-up raid-5 HDDS that I stored in a /usr/home/backup
folder.

dmesg says:

da0 at asr0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <ADAPTEC RAID-5 380E> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 70006MB (143372288 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 8924C)

Looks good. So I go

#mount /dev/da0s1 /mnt

It returns:

Jan 28 23:22:31 /kernel: da0: cannot find label (no disk label)
Jan 28 23:22:31 /kernel: da0s1: cannot find label (no disk label)

And I am able to cd to mnt and read everything, but /usr and /var (that's
where the data reside) are empty.

Then I tried:

#fdisk da0

and it returns

******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=8924 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=8924 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 143363997 (70001 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

So I tried:

# disklabel da0s1
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
# disklabel da0
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument

Is my disklabel missing, and that's why the raid-5 HDDs won't boot up and
won't let me mount '/usr' and '/var'? Since the etc directory is accessible
I can even access the old '/etc/fstab' and '/etc/disktab', would that help?
All I need is to be able to mount /usr and /var and copy the data out to my
IDE HD, whether the Raid-5 sys can ever boot up again is secondary.

Here's '/etc/fstab' (well '/mnt/etc/fstab'):

/dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/da0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/da0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/da0s1g             /www            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

Also, as a freaked out person desperatly trying to restore the data I tried
to mount the slices. I tried:

#mount /dev/da0s1f /mnt

and it returns

mount: /dev/da0s1f on /mnt: incorrect super block

If anybody has any idea on how that can be done, please let me know; If any
extra info is needed, please let me know and I'll provide them as much as
possible.

Thanks in advance.