UT2004 on FreeBSD

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Fri Jan 28 03:26:01 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 11:15:38AM +0100, Jorn Argelo wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:31:33 -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote
> > On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:50:19PM -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> > > I know there were some people on the list asking about running Unreal
> > > Tournament 2004 on FreeBSD a while back.  Mainly, the c++ libraries were
> > > what was missing in linux_base.  Now that linux_base-rh9 is out, all the
> > > required libraries are easy to install.  Also, x11/linux-XFree86-libs
> > > will be needed.  I have UT2004 running in freebsd, but some of the
> > > images and player models don't show up and, while the mouse works in the
> > > menus, once I get in game, I can't do anything.  Any ideas on how to fix
> > > this?
> >
> > It seems the keyboard doesn't work either once I'm in game except for
> > alt-enter when windows the screen from fullscreen.  It's like it's
> > not able to access the keyboard or mouse using what ever raw access it's
> > trying to do, but they both work elsewhere when it's just using the
> > regular X protocol to access them.
>
> I'm using linux_base-7.1, and I don't have linux-XFree86-libs installed either
> (Perhaps that's not required since I'm use x.org.) And UT2004 works just fine
> with me. Though the performance is somewhat worse then it was at Windows, but
> that's probably because of the Nvidia drivers. Of course, one should not
> expect too much from an GeForce 4 MX440 :)

When I was using linux_base-7 I had several linux programs missing
certain versions of libstdc++ libraries.  The installed version was
something like libstdc++.so.3 and the program needed something like
libstdc++.so.9.  Since I installed linux_base-rh-9, they now run, though
UT2004 has problems in-game.  Before I upgraded linux_base, it didn't
even start.  Also, linux-XFree86-libs isn't needed for linux_base-7,
there already part of it, but they seperated it out for rh-9 I guess.

And UT2004 runs just fine in Linux with my GeForce4 MX440 and since
Doom 3 runs pretty good in both linux and freebsd with my geforce 4, I'd
say the nvidia drivers are probably pretty good.