Syncing 3 Freebsd servers' accounts Question

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Fri Jan 28 02:49:01 PST 2005

Dick Davies wrote:
>>O'Reilly has a really good book on LDAP "LDAP System Administration" -
>>includes a chapter on how to migrate from NIS to LDAP.
>
> IMO that's one of the few bad oreilly books
> the orielly book is more of a cookbook, but does'nt really explain what's
> going on.

You have a problem, and you want to solve it. I find the O'Reilly book a
good guide. I didn't claim it will give you a complete understanding of
the protocol or X.509 etc. But it will show you how to solve the problem
at hand, and give ideas of how to exploit LDAP further.

> NetBSD is almost finished integrating pluggable nsswitch modules, I doubt openbsd
> will be far behind. No offence to the openbsd crew but if you waited for them to support
> something before using it on freebsd you wouldn't be running much...

I think the whole idea of pam is against their fundamental philosophy,
so I wouldn't expect to see this any time soon.

>>Also, LDAP requires you to obtain Object Identifiers if you defnine new
>>types, I haven't heard of OID that can be used for private/experimental
>>purposes only (like the private ip address spaces).
>
> There's no need to get an OID registered (unlike IP addresses; it's not like
> it's routed) but it's free and they'll happily give you one if you ask.

You will need to have your directory service available for the internet
if you eg. want to distribute certificates - the most common use I
think. And you will need OID if you want to add your own extensions to
the v3 certificate.

But even if not, just to make sure that your choice of OID will not
clash with commonly distributed entries, it would be convenient to have
a private playground, where any interference is _your_ problem.

I know they will give you a branch for free if you ask, but I guess that
will change if we all request such a branch.

Anyway, the predefined schemes much satturates the need of most SOHO's.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt