cvsup doc-all

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Jan 28 02:42:49 PST 2005

On 2005-01-28 09:04, Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:51:07 +0200, Giorgos Keramidas
><keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> Yep.  If you think a bit about it, you will see it makes more sense.
>> What is it that you download with src-all?  The "sources of the system".
>> The "doc-all" collection downloads "the sources of the documentation".
>
> aha but all docs will be updated when you do a buildworld right ?

Nope.  The build of the documentation is not, shall we say, "self
contained" in the base system of FreeBSD.  It requires many tools that
are not part of the base system.

This means buildworld cannot assume that you have all of them, so it
doesn't try to build the documentation too.

>> Look at `/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk'.  It has a huge list of sites where
>> port distfiles are downloaded from.  You can tweak this list by setting
>> similar variables in your `/etc/make.conf' file, i.e.:
>>
>>         MASTER_SITE_GNU?=       ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu/%SUBDIR%/
>>
>> Note the "conditional assignment" with ?= there.  The 'make.conf' file
>> should very rarely set things unconditionally, with "FOO=bar".
>
> so basicly you dont have to worry about ports server because it will
> find the best server by it self ?

Basically, yes.  Not all the time, but that's the idea.  Everything is
customizable though, to allow local "fixes" that make more sense.

This is why I set MASTER_SITE_GNU as shown above in my machines -- it
makes more sense for machines installed in Greece.  The ftp.ntua.gr
mirror is usually very up to date and it's one of the fastest Greek FTP
servers around.  Putting it on the top of the MASTER_SITE_GNU list means
that whenever I try to build some GNU tool, ftp.ntua.gr is the first
server contacted.  If that fails to locate the distfile, the usual list
of servers takes over.

> why does cvsup not work the same way ?

Because it wasn't written to do so.  There is a utility in ports,
sysutils/fastest_cvsup, that may help you find the fastest CVSup server
at any given time :-)

- Giorgos